Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Restroom Review: Culver 12 Cinema, Culver City Ca.

Recently my wife and I enjoyed a very delicious meal at Annapura, a vegeterian Indian restaurant on Venice Boulevard. Usually I sample one of the more, shall we say unique beverages offered at these places, and that night I tried something, the name of which I can't recall. It was compellingly, I don't know, strange. It tasted like a mix between a rose blossom and a brand new cassette tape. I must say, I liked it. I sucked the thing down and didn't think much else of it for the balance of the evening. We rushed on to the theatre close by to catch a late showing of Pixar's The Incredibles. The film was wonderful, though I should add that it's too intense for the kiddies, so don't be fooled by cute aesthetics; this is a movie for adults. Anyhow, somewhere during the epilogue I began to have the oddest sensation in my gut. It was as if someone had implanted a methane gas spigot in my peretoneum and then proceeded to light the thing. Within no more than 45 seconds from the onset of this episode I broke out in a cold sweat I felt like I was going to explode - or die whichever came first. The crazy thing was that I simply didn't want to miss even one minute of this film in order to go to the bathroom, but yet I really felt an emergency of a sort I simply had not sensed at any time in my 38 years on this planet. It felt like nausea coupled with explosive farts and I simply thought I was going to lose it right there in my seat. I knew it was the beverage. Just remembering it gives me an urge to visit the can.

There are sadly few establishments, public or private which offer single room lavatories for guests and employees. Apparently a measure of efficiency in construction dictates the level of privacy and comfort that can be accorded to commode users. I must convey a kudos to the people who designed and constructed the Culver 12 Cinema, in Culver City California. The bathroom was one of the singularly clean, one-toilet, one sink lavatories I'd been to. It is similar to the bathroom in the 580 building in the DreamWorks Complex on the Universal lot, though the latter is a bit cleaner and has an aromatic hint of cedar. The cinema bathroom was fully tiled; a prerequisite in my opinion for anything to rate three bathroom tissue rolls or higher. It is absolutely spacious, appointed with chrome fixtures, as well as a Koala changing station for tots. Nothing of any high incident or interest happened in that bathroom, even given the level of emergent need I felt, but that had nothing to do with any issues of sanitation or privacy - both of which were really top notch.

Additional comments: Bullet style garbage can, somewhat overflowing (it was probably not emptied yet for that day). Pleasant smelling soap.

No comments: